Hey Jay, wait up nah!’, I heard someone shout from behind me as I hurried towards Miracle Junction to board a bus. I turned to see Deborah heading towards my direction with her backpack slung over her right shoulder, and Ifeanyichukwu following closely behind so I stopped. ‘Jackophytes! You couldn’t even wait for next session before you start reading overnight. Keep intimidating unserious students like us oh inugo’,I hailed them jokingly, then pointed at Ifeanyi,‘I know this is definitely your handiwork, Mr NCS-Night Class Supervisor.’ We all laughed.
Omo leave story oh’, Deb replied,‘I didn’t even need much persuasion this time. Only the course outlines for Criminal Law and Intellectual Property Law are already enough to make me stay the proceedings of my long vacation for now.’ ‘CheiNdi law students will not kill somebody’, Ifeanyi joked. ‘See who is talking?!’, Deb and I said simultaneously and burst into laughter.
I glanced at my wristwatch. ‘Hey, I need to get going biko. I can’t afford to be late. See you guys later abeg.’ I was about to walk away when Deb cleared her throat and hailed,‘Jay the Jay, how far na?’,while giving that mischievous wink of hers. ‘Bia Deborah why are you winking and hailing me at the same time? You and I know that these two never work for you without a purpose.’
‘Hian! This kain question sef. So I cannot innocently hail my friend again. Oyanu, I shaa just wanted to ask where you are hurrying to at barely 7am this morning’, she said, glancing at her own wristwatch. I could see raw curiosity written all over her face as her nose contorted to form what we usually regard as an ‘amebo face’. ‘Tufiakwa! Deborah, when are you going to change? Ifeanyi be praying for your sister oh, let this her love for amebo not land her in trouble one day.’ ‘But it’s just an innocent question na Jay, or is that your way of trying to evade it?,’Ifeanyi remarked as he added his own mischief-related face. I knew I was in hot soup. ‘It haff do ohamebo people, please I’m heading to INEC office at Amawbia for my Voter’s Card Registration.’
They exchanged surprised glances with each other and Deb shouted,‘Jaydee! Are you sure you’re telling the truth? You?! Voter’s Card? How come? What happened? Who did this?’
‘Nobody did anything biko, my eyes opened. It’s barely three days to the close of the PVC registration and I suddenly realized- writing and criticizing Nigeria’s current economic situation is nice but it will not vote for me in 2019, standing in front of the television every time I tune in the news to curse corrupt politicians will make me lose my voice but it won’t help me vote my choice candidate, dropping my angry comments in response to political issues on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or in response to WhatsApp statuses will make others hear me but my opinion will not count on Election Day. Shebi you see all the writings, criticisms, social media comments and so on? I won’t stop oh but I need to get a back up, so that when I vote and my candidate fails to fulfil his promises, I will now have the full right to complain online and offline sef. Ehe guy, what’s up nah?,’I waved back at Damizy who was clearly also on his way back from night class, with Criminal Law Textbook by Okonkwo-and-Naish on one hand and the Criminal Code Act on the other. Finally ehn, all these serious students sef! Me I cannot coman kill myself please. ‘Surprise surprise!’,Ifeanyi said,‘I can’t believe this is the same person who some weeks ago was arguing over how she couldn’t go to INEC office as ‘early’ as 8am just to get her PVC, now giving lectures on it. I’m glad you finally listened to me shaa, that’s all that matters.’
‘Did I hear you say ‘listen to you?’ You wish!’, I said laughing out loud. ‘You know how punchlines work for me nah? I was just passing by Happiness’ room yesterday evening when I heard her tell Chinedu that ‘Your PVC is more than just your Permanent Voter’s Card, it is your Power to Vote your Choice.’ Omo I just picked that one and ran ehn, so here I am. Plus I started suspecting this people when I realized that PVC registration used to be till year ending before now, only for them to give a deadline of August 17th-which is just two days away by the way-for this one. Biko lemme coman be going, I don’t want to hear any stories that touch that this INEC people will tell not to let me do mine today. Las las I’ll go back tomorrow and stay there till night unless they give me.’
‘Ah ah! Debby why are you suddenly mute?, Ifeanyi observed.
‘Do you really want the answer to that question?’, I asked him with lighted humor in my eyes. ‘This one is #LazyNigerianYouth that has sworn never to get hers, after all who will win, will win. She doesn’t know that there’s a new wave about to hit us in Nigeria by 2019 and we all can’t afford to miss being part of it.’
‘Nna eh, Jaydee it haff do biko, you have a way of making someone feel guilty of something very tiny’, Deb retorted. No one will believe that just few weeks ago, you were still adamantly against the whole Voter’s Card thing, now see you carrying the matter on your head like Matthias. Lemme kuku goan baff and come to the INEC office for my own PVC jare. Help me write my name in the list inugo? I’m coming.’
‘You see what I just said now, ehn Ifeanyi? Debby the #LazyNigerianYouth!’, I hailed, raising my hands in mock salutation as I left Ifeanyi roaring with laughter and ran towards the bus whose conductor was screaming, ‘Tempsite, Eke Awka, Amawbia, hold your change oh...’ at the top of his voice. ‘Amawbia, how much?’,I queried. ‘Amawbia #180 last price oh!, the conductor replied. ‘It’s #150 I’ll pay oh, fuel price has come down’,I murmured as I got into the nearly empty bus and sat, ignoring his icy stare. ‘This PVC journey is between me and them today. Driver, biko let’s be going fast fast.’


So my people, y’all have heard it-go get your PVC! No comments, political criticisms or complaints is more powerful.
#GoGetYourPVC #YourVoteYourVoice #PermanentVotersCard #PowerToVoteYourChoice
Jay cares ALWAYS. #ProjectBCD-Be the Change you Desire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog